Loryn's 11¢ - Characters
Baltimore CID Homicide Unit - For the chain of command, click here.
Lt. Alphonse Giardello, Shift Commander (Yaphet Kotto)
Det. Timothy Bayliss (Kyle Secor)
- Black Sicilian shift commander, first black lieutenant, began in 1968. His first case as murder police: Kenny Damon Barnes (Walbrook Junction). He's been passed up for promotion to Captain 3 times (once each to Barnfather, Russert, & Gaffney).
- Lousiana Creole mother, Sicilian father, Grandfather served in Sicilian underground in World War II. Married to Joanne (who died from cancer in 1987), 3 grown kids (Charisse [lives in San Francisco, married to Robert, pregnant], Al Jr. [aka Michael or Mike], Teresa), murdered cousin Mario. Grew up in the Perkins Homes projects. Gee missed Charisse's wedding because of work and because of the blizzard of 1996.
- Gee will go to the wall every time with the brass for his detectives, as long as he gets the clearance rates he needs. He's a big-daddy, stand-up kind of guy. Don't cross him; as his Sicilian ancestors said, "Revenge is dish best served cold." Gee makes great stracatto.
- Liked to read the now-defunct The Baltimore News American paper. Loves to eat at Dalesio's. He fired the first shots at Junior Bunk from his office. He later gave Mike an "out" for the Mahoney shooting to save Lewis & Stivers.
Det. Meldrick Lewis (Clark Johnson)
- He worked on QRT & the Mayor's Security Detail before transferring to Homicide with no investigatory training. He's now good murder police. He's above average, but not quite as good as Frank (as if anyone could be). Originally to have partnered with Kay, but worked his 1st case with Frank & they remained partners (briefly split up from ep. 5-12 through 5-19). He was king of the redballs for a while. He tried to give Sheppard some advice on how to handle her first redball, but she had a big chip on her shoulder. He told her that he would take it over if she didn't shape up. [It's so nice to see Tim's backbone (no pun intended) up again!]
- 37 years old at the end of Season 6. Dad Toby (deceased; they didn't get along), mom Virginia (a neat freak who used to clean rest area toilets before she'd let him use them), an uncle with the 3rd largest car dealership in MD, & Uncle George (who sexually abused him as a child - ep. 5-12), a cousin Jim (who calls him Teej - pc 319)[Jim has a wife named Shannon & 3 kids], a niece whose 6th birthday party was held at Hector's, another cousin Kurt (Jim's brother; killed in the Gulf War). Had a 3-week fling with Dr. Cox but came to his senses; also had a bad date with Ballard, to whom he admitted being not "strictly straight." He has dinner every now and then with Chris Rawls, the gay restraunteur who helped him on a case. Tim admitted he slept with a guy once and is bi-curious. He gave Rene a copy of Zen for Beginners. He finally got the courage to ask Sheppard out, and she said some time. He has a deteriorating disc in his lower back, a condition that has sent him to the emergency room several times. Tim runs his own website called In Plain Site: A Buddhist's Perspective on Bisexuality, which was hacked into by cyberkiller Luke Ryland.
- Because of his own childhood experiences & of the Adena Watson case, he's overprotective of hurt/murdered kids, impulsive, & emotional. He still feels guilty about not doing Adena Watson justice. Still thinks about quitting when he confronts a redball. He's the squad's sweetest guy but can turn into a hothead quickly. Comes to the defense of those he cares about. Tim has too much faith in the better part of human nature and is easily hurt/disappointed.
- Teej co-owns The Waterfront with Munch and Lewis. After breaking up with Emma Zoole, he committed his infamous 11¢ 'robbery' (he was 11¢ short at the liquor store. To make up for it, he had to work security there for a few weekends.). Tim was arrested for political protesting in El Salvador; his dad wouldn't bail him out & he had to spend the night in jail. He also has a misdemeanor arrest for a pyramid scheme thing he got suckered into. Teej was the playground patrol boy in 8th grade. His dad had to quit smoking because Tim used to eat the butts from the ashtray. Likes to watch Mighty Mouse cartoons. Has an apartment in the Fells Point community. He also fired shots at Junior Bunk in the squadroom. Tim was shot in the flank area of the back while trying to shield Frank from a Mahoney crew man's gunfire. The bullet hit a rib & splintered.
Det. John Munch (Richard Belzer)
- Partnered with Crosetti until his suicide (pc 304), then Kellerman through Season 5 (whom he dropped like a hot potato after the Mahoney shooting); with Falsone in Season 6; now with Sheppard. Lewis was put on indefinite suspension for punching Georgia Rae Mahoney; he was brought back after receiving a disciplinary letter & loss of 5 vacation days. Rotated briefly to Vice.
- Born & raised in a Baltimore tenement, the Lafayette Court Projects. Brother Anthony (a mental patient) & grandma Midian (once a cook at The Waterfront). Married Barbara Shivers (pc 420) but didn't work out. 1980 Lake Clifton High School graduate (had Mrs. T. for Civics). Takes the deaths of his co-workers very seriously. Meldrick was deeply affected by the suicide of Crosetti; he felt guilty that he didn't see it coming.
- "Detective Supremo" - He's cocky, sharp, street smart, impulsive, in-your-face at times. He can lose it with you when he doesn't get his way (pc 316). He's a thorough detective now.
- Car shot at by Junior Bunk. While on suspension, he got info from Paul about certain Mahoney crew members who later turned up dead. He then sent anonymous letters to the unit that closed the cases. He also fired shots at Junior Bunk in the squadroom. Lewis refused to implicate Mike in the Mahoney incident. Lewis was shot at during a scuffle in which Sheppard was beaten by a suspect. He gave her his hat (which had a bullet hole through the top front) and now does not want to be her partner, even though he says he does. He has been avoiding her in the squadroom, and even traded cases with Falsone on Sheppard's return to rotation. He usually wears a black leather hat. He likes potato chips.
Det. Laura Ballard (Callie Thorne)
- He partnered first with Bolander, then Russert, then Howard, then Kellerman, now Bayliss. Only one not rotated out.
- Raised in Pikesville, MD (on Cherokee Dr.) & a '61 PHS grad. 2 brothers: Bernie (an undertaker) & Jake (owner of a drywall business). Cousin Ernie. 3 ex-wives: Gwen (who, after their divorce, slept with NYPD Det. Lennie Briscoe), Maria & Nancy. Got to meet author Peter Maas at his ex-mother-in-law's (Gwen's mom) funeral. When Maas trashed the dead editor in front of Gwen, Munch made a beautiful toast "to Mom" at the bar's Xmas party. Has also had two girlfriends: the unseen Felicia and Dr. Alyssa Dyer. His cousin Lee did his taxes, and now he owes the IRS $30,000 in back taxes after his audit. Munch must shell out $1,000 a month for the next 3 years. Munch took Billie Lou Hatfield to the Police Lodge party and on a weekend trip. They've been engaged since New Year's Eve 1998. He and his buddy Dresen were going to register as conscientious objectors for the Vietnam draft; Dresen chickened out on the way to the interview room, was sent over as a medic, and was killed. Munch ran Gharty's name through the Dept. of Defense records during a recent investigation.
- He has a weakness for women (Munch's a victim of his libido) & is a serious charmer. He's opinionated, well read, argumentative, intelligent, a dissident, & squad cynic/comic (Lenny Bruce with a badge). He's fiercely protective of his comrades because he had to watch Stan, Beau, Kay, the 3 uniforms, Stu, & Laura get shot.
- Called 'Munchkin' by Stan. Called 'Defective Monk' by a suspect during questioning in New York City. He's lanky & has greying hair. He & his cousin Ernie used to watch Judy Sprinkles the Puppet & Birthday Land with King Twinklehead together. Fave films - Raging Bull & 101 Dalmatians. He likes Milk Duds. He's a cat man. He almost always wears an American flag pin on his left lapel. Never confuse him with Montel Williams.
- a transfer to the Homicide Unit from Seattle PD. After being there only 3 months, she closed the Rico redball which got a commendation for the unit.
- Ballard is her stepfather's name (it's Swedish); her mother's maiden name is Hartunian (Armenian). Had a disasterous date with Bayliss. Seems to have an attraction to Falsone, who turned her down when she asked him to go with her to the Police Lodge party. They later began seeing each other.
- Thinks she's hot stuff. Wants Pembleton's star. Seemed to get all the cases for a while. She told Munch off for suggesting that Stu had something to hide.
- Developed an anaphalatic allergy to shellfish & passed out in the squadroom and was treated at Harbor Hospital. Shot in the left foot near ankle by Junior Bunk; treated at Maryland Shock/Trauma. While under anesthesia, her swelled head imagined that she killed Junior Bunk before he shot her.
Det. Paul Falsone (Jon Seda)
Det. Stuart Gharty (Peter Gerety)
- He joined the force in 1991 & made $34,000 in 1997. Auto Theft transfer (helped close the Felton murder), partnered first with Lewis & now with Stivers. He helped Frank with the questioning of Lewis and Kellerman about the Luther Mahoney shooting. With the help of retired Detective Thomas Finnegan, he solved the 1932 murder of Clara Slone, the oldest unsolved homicide in Baltimore.
- Paul's 29 at Season 6's end. Mom Theresa is a bad cook. He has a 3-year-old son Daniel by ex-wife Janine, whom he sued for full custody & lost. They're now going to try keeping him a week at a time. Paul gets paranoid about Daniel's safety quite easily. He finally knows that Ballard likes him, thanks to Stivers. He bought her a hot dog outside of the courthouse and asked her if she wanted to go on a date (duck-pin bowling). They began dating, but were told by Gee to stop or transfer; neither wanted that, so they're now seeing each other on the sly.
- Paul can be hotheaded, undeferential to senior officers, & quick-witted. He is very protective of children.
- Paul was a Golden Gloves boxer, "Sugar Ray" Falsone. He can spot a transvestite right off. He can open anything with his teeth.
- Patrolman afraid to respond, IID detective working with Felton, rotated to Homicide
- Divorcing wife Flora after 30-something years. He has a daughter & a granddaughter. He has a cousin Clete. Stu has a big crush on Billie Lou (who didn't know he was married until she showed up at the hospital with flowers in hand and met his wife) and even bought her some perfume. He was very jealous that she went with Munch to the Police Lodge party. He tried to pick a fight with Munch after learning of Munch's looking up his DOD file. In the process, he knocked Billie Lou over a table, and she told him to never speak to her again. Stu received a general discharge from the Army for insubordination. He witnessed a 'friendly fire' massacre (23 May 1967, when he was 19), for which he was written up for disobeying a commanding officer for not shooting unarmed Vietnamese civilians.
- In high school, he was a bully. He offered to let Munch "take his best shot" to make up for all Munch suffered, but Munch didn't. Stu's a big basketball fan. He is a member of a rotisserie baseball league. Gharty was shot in the right side of his chest by Junior Bunk before he could get off a shot.
Ready for more? Click here.
Main Characters | Our Dearly Departed Detectives | Helpful Neighborhood Police Officers
The Ghouls in the Chop ShopThe Legal Hacks | Friendly Neighborhood Reporters
At The Waterfront | The Chain of Command