|sticky rice with mung bean
vietnamese: xoi vo, xoi dau xanh
1 c white glutinous rice
1/4 c dried hulled split yellow mung beans
1 t salt
2 T peanut oil
2 T unsalted roasted peanuts
1 T toasted sesame seeds
1 t sugar
1. rinse rice and beans separately, then soak separately in water for at least 8 hours.
2. drain beans, place in a dish or shallow pan, steam 20 minutes, then mash into paste. pack the bean paste down so that it sticks together somewhat.
3. drain rice, and mix with beans and salt. stir so that bean paste separates into small lumps, but don't let it completely dissolve into powder.
4. spread double layer of cheesecloth over the steamer rack. spread rice evenly over the cheesecloth, and fold the corners of the cheesecloth over the top of the rice. steam for 1 hour or until done.
5. mix with oil.
6. use a mortar & pestle or a food processor to crush the peanuts, sesame seeds and sugar into a coarse powder; sprinkle over each serving of rice. eat it warm.
return to the veggie asia home page