- More than 450 popular ragas in Carnatic music have been compiled in this volume. Each raga has been explained in detail with its svara notation, Arohana, Avarohana, Melakartha and Janya parentage, Raga Lakshana, and visesha sanchara. Each raga contains details about the compositions available in each raga with the name of the composer and tala.
Ragadhara - Audio Encyclopaedia on Mela and Janya Ragas of Carnatic Music
RAGAS IN INDIAN MUSIC
V K KRISHNA PRASAD
Information on Melakartha parentage, its svara notation, Equivalent Western scale, Staff Notation, The Tamil Pann relationship, Hindustani raga equivalent are some of the important information provided for each raga.
Each Raga is graphically presented with synonyms, Carnatic letter notation, Staff Notation, ABC letter notation, semitone intervals, sruthi bhedam, swarasthanas, varjya swaras, raga types, Western scale types, piano rolls and much more. An exhaustive master index on ragas, index based on different classifications based on Sampoorna and Asampoorna Mela, Hindustani, Carnatic, Tamil Panns, Kathakali ragas, Western scales, etc. Makes the book a very essential tool for understanding the raga concept as prevalent today..
The objective of this book is to present a good and quick reference guide for Ragas, simple and easy access to raga information and provide all information on different format in a single page.”
An essential and comprehensive reference source with information on any type of raga at your fingertips.”
sample pages in pdf format
NEW / 2008/ 825 pages crown quarto size/ Rs 850.00 / $ 45.00/ ISBN 81 85 381 97 6
The present reader in Karnatic music is a systematic introduction to the study of Karnatic music. The reader in four parts covers the different musical forms in Karnatic music. The complete reader in 4 parts will be a compendium of musical forms of Karnatic music. The notation for the compositions have been made in simplest form possible so that the student learner can learn them with minimal effort. The selection of compositions have been made to cover representative composers of Karnatic music.
- In the first part, starting with simple introduction and the history of South Indian music, the book ventures into the teaching of fundamentals notes, Saralivarisas, Janta varisas, Alankaras, gitam, svarajathi and jathisvaram. The lessons have been arranged in simple notation. Audio cds available covering the Sarali varisas, Janta Varisas, Dattu Varisas, Alankara, Gitam, Svarajathi and Jathisvaram rendered by Dr.S.Bhagyalelskhmy
- The second part covers the various aspects of varnam. The introduction gives a proper evaluation of various types of Varnam, and a note on different composers. The notation of about 40 different varna in adi tala, ata tala, and pada varna have been notated in simple form for easy rendering. The varnas have been selected to represent the best from various composers of Karnatic Music.
- The third part covers Kirtanas. A detailed introduction on Keertanas and various composers have been added. The notation of about 40 popular Kirtanas have been given in simple notation. Representative compositions of important composers has been selected.
- The fourth part covers the musical forms like daru varnam, padam, tillanas, tana varnas, javali, ragamalika, utsava sampradaya keertanas, tirupugazh, kavadi chindu etc. These compositions portray the varied facets of Karnatic music. All these forms have an introduction about them.
KRITI SAGARAM - A SELECTION OF COMPOSITIONS NEW
First volume in the series - This book contains select compositions of Annamacharaya, Bhadrachala Ramadas, Ramanad Srinivasa Iyengar, Mysore Vasudevachar, Pallavi Sesha Iyer, Subbraya Sastri, and G N Balasubramoniam. with notation in English with text. The compositions are well notated for easy learning in simple style. The popular compositions have been selected so that these compositions can be learnt by more and more learners. The rendering of the notation can be used for learning in simple style
2009/128 pages / Rs 120.00 / $15.00
CARNATIC MUSIC READER IN WESTERN STAFF NOTATION
SEVEN PART BOOK SERIES FOR
LEARNING CARNATIC MUSIC THROUGH WESTERN STAFF NOTATION.
This Carnatic Music reader series introduces a systematic study of Carnatic Music with the help of western staff notation. The series has been designed with the beginner in mind so that he can learn to play the lessons on western instrument like guitar, piano, saxophone, violin etc. and midi instruments with minimum effort. All the exercises are presented in western staff notation, letter notation and conventional carnatic music letter notation. The series contains a basic introduction to western staff notation system.
CONTENTS OF THE SEVEN VOLUME SERIES
Book 1 - Fundamental lessons- Contains an Introduction to carnatic music, simple introduction to the concepts of western staff notation, Excercises for fundamental lessons starting from Saptaswara, Sarali varisa, Janta Varisa, Dattu varisa, Mandra sthayi varisa, Madhya sthayi varisa, Tara sthayi varisa, Alankaram, Gitam, Lakshana geetham, Jati swaram and swara jathi.
The three part series for learning Varnam in western staff notation Adi tala and Ata tala Varnam is presented as a three part series, considering the importance of learning Varnam in western staff notation. The three part series contains extensive notation for 24 Adi tala Varnam and 10 ata tala Varnam in three parts.
Book 2: Adi tala Varnam in western staff notation -Adi Tala Varnam -1 - 1.Ninnu kori-Mohanam, 2.Sami Ninne - Sankarabharanam, 3.Evari bodha - Abhogi,
4.Vanajakshiro - Kalyani, 5.Intha chalamu - Begada, 6.Tharuni ninnu - Kambhoji, 7.Sarasuda nine - Saveri, 8.Jalajaksha - Hamsadhvani, 9.Inthamodi - Saranga,
10. Era na Pai - Hanumathodi, 11.Ninne kori- Vasantha, 12. Sami ninne - Sree.
Book -3: Adi Tala varnam -2 1.Intha chauka - Bilari, 2.Sami ninne - Panthuvarali, 3.Sarasija mukhiro - Arabi, 4.Karunimpa - Sahana, 5.Chalamela -Darbar,
6.Saraguna - Madhyamavathi, 7.Sami Dayajuda- Kedaragaula, 8.Sarasijanabha - Mayamalavagaula, 9.Entho prema - Surutti, 10.Rahamathangi- Udayaravichandrika,
11.Chalamela (Pada varnam) - Nattakurinji, 12.Rama evela - Kharaharapriya.
Book 4: Ata tala varnam in staff notation - Ata tala varnam - 1.Vanajakshi - Kalyani, 2.Nera nammi -Kanada, 3.Chalamela - Sankarabharanam 4.Sarasijanambha - Kambhoji, 5,Maguva ninne- Narayana gaula, 6.Nenarunchi- Dhanyasi,7.Vaanajakshi - Ritigaula, 8.Kanakangi- Thodi, 9.Sami nee pai - Anandabhairavi, 10.Vanajakshi - Varali
The three part series on Kritis in western staff notation contains a selection of 45 compositions on various ragas of different composers presented in the same western staff notation supported by carnatic letter notation. The three part series contains different kritis in different talas.
Book 5 - Compositions on carnatic music in western staff notation - Krithis 1 - 1.Vathapi -Hamsadhvani, 2.Nadathanumanisam-Chitta Ranjani,3.Brova Bharama, Bahudari. 4.Marugelara- Jayantasri, 5.Thunga Tharange- Kuntalavarali, 6.Palimchu- Madhyamavati 7.Kanaka Saila- Punnaga Varali, 8.Mahaganapathim- Natta 9.Aanandamrithakarshini- AmritaVarshini, 10.Kanchadalaaya- Kamalamanohari, 11.Parvatipatim- Hamsadhvani, 12.Annapoorne Visalakshi- Shyama, 13.Mamavathu Sri- Hindolam,
14.Mahadeva Siva Sambho- Revati
Book 6 - Krithis 2 1.Vinayaka Ninuvina- Hamsadhvani, 2.Sitamma Mayamma- Vasanta, 3.Niravathi Sukhada- Ravi Chandrika, 4.Manasayetulo- Malayamarutam ,
5.Nagumomu- Abheri 6.Adamodigalude- Charukesi 7.Gajaananayutam- Chakravakam 8.Sri Lakshmi Varaham - Abhogi 9.Sri Saraswathi- Arabhi, 10.Paamarajana Paalini- Simhendra Madhyamam, 11.Sri Guruguha - Suddha Saveri, 12.Subramanneya- Suddha Dhanyasi , 13.Parvathi Kumaram- Nata Kuranji , 14.Hari Narayana- Revati, 15.Paripalaya- Pantuvarali
Book 7 - Krithis 3 , 1-Himagiri Thanaye- Suddha Dhanyasi, 2-Pahimam Sree- Jana Ranjini, 3-Pandu Reethi- - Hamsa Nadam, 4-Ananda Nadamaduvar- Purvi Kalyani,
5-Raghuvamsa Sudha - Kadana Kutuhala, 6-Bho Sambho - Revati, 7-Manasa Sanchara Shyam, 8-Paarukkulle - Jonpuri 9-Sada Palaya- Mohanam
10-Naan Oru Vilayattu- Navarasa Kannada, 11-Jagaj Janani- Ratipati Priya, 12-Adikkondar- Maya Malava Gaula, 13.Ramachandram- Vasanta, 14-Brahma Mokate- Bauli
“Most suitable for learning and practicing carnatic music with western staff notation.”
Set of 7 parts. Rs 710.00/$45.00
In this volume a representative collection of his 40 compositions of Muthuswamy Dikshitar have been notated in English in simple form, with their text in English.An exhaustive introduction assesses the important contribution made by Muthuswamy Dikshitar to Karnatic Music including the literary heritage and various aspects of his music. A comprehensive index lists over 450 compositions made by Muthuswamy Dikshitar.
ISBN 81 85 381 50 X/ 2008/ 3rd Edition/144 PAGES / Rs.120.00 / $10.00
COMPOSITIONS OF MUTHUSWAMY DIKSHITAR IN WESTERN STAFF NOTATION
Select 15 kritis of Muthuswamy Dikshitar, suited to instrumental music have been presented in western staff Notation. These compositions are best suited for playing on Keyboard, Piano, Violin. Contains carnatic music standard notation, text of the composition, western staff notation score.
01. Sri Muladhara - Sri - Adi * 02. Saraswathi - Hindolam - Rupakam
03. Sathyanarayanam - Subha Panthuvarali - Rupakam *0
4. Ramanatham - Panthuvarali - Rupakam
05. Hiranmayim - Lalitha - Rupakam *06. Sri Varalakshmi - Sri - Rupakam
07. Sri Guruguha - Deva Kriya - Rupakam *08. Swaminatha - Nattai - Adi
09. Shanka Chakra - Purna Chandrika - Rupakam *
10. Meenakshi Memudham- Purvi Kalyani - Adi
11. Marakatha Lingam - Vasantha - Adi * 2. Gananayakam - Rudra Priya - Adi
13. Senapathe Pahimam - Panthuvarali Adi *14. Saravanabhava - Revagupti - Rupakam
15. Pahimam Parvathy - Mohanam - Rupakam
144 Pages/ 2009/ Rs 150.00/$10.00
Golden Treasury of Compositions of Tyagaraja
Popular and selected compositions of Tyagaraja have been given in simple notation with the text of the songs in English. The notation has been given in simple form so that these songs can be learnt with minimal guidance and can be attempted as a self learning package as well. The compositions have selected in such a way that they portray the different ragas and compositions. Introduction of Tyagaraja’s contribution to Karnatic Music has been given in the first chapter. An essential book for the learner as well as the connoisseur.
ISBN 81 85 381 36 4 / 1999 / pages 96 / 2nd Reprint /Rs 60.00 / $5.00
COMPOSITIONS OF TYAGARAJA IN WESTERN STAFF NOTATION
Select 15 kritis of Tygaraja, suited to instrumental music have been presented in western staff Notation. These compositions are best suited for playing on Keyboard, Piano, Violin. Contains carnatic music standard notation, text of the composition, western staff notation score.
1. Raghunayaka - Hamsa Dhwani - Adi * 2. Entanerchina - Udaya Ravichandrika- Adi
3. Sobhillu - Jagan Mohini - Rupakam * 4. Kala Harana - Suddha Saveri - Rupakam
5. Ninne Nera - Panthuvarali - Rupakam * 6. Rama Bhakthi - Suddha Bangala - Adi
7. Sarasa Sama- Kapi Narayani - Adi * 8. Siva Siva - Panthuvarali - Adi
9. Meru Samana - Maya Malava Goula - Adi * 10. Chalamelara - Marga Hindolam - Adi
11. Appa Rama - Panthuvarali- Rupakam *12. Teratyagarada - Gauli Panthu - Adi
13. Vinayakuni - Madhyamavathi - Adi * 14. Durmarga - Ranjani - Rupakam
15. Yochana - Darbar - Adi
144 Pages/ 2009/ Rs 150.00/$10.00
Golden Treasury of Compositions of Swathi Tirunal
The great literary heritage of Maharaja Swathi Tirunal brought through the ages have been applauded by every quarters which are evidenced by the compositions of Maharaja Swati Tirunal of Travancore. In this volume 40 select compositions of Maharaja Swathi Tirunal have been well notated for easy learning. Introduction gives a comprehensive analysis of Maharaja Swati Tirunal's contribution
ISBN 81 85 381 19 4 /1999 / 2nd Reprint / 96 Pages Rs 60.00 / $8.00
- 2 Audio cds/cassettes comprising the audio rendering of the select compositions given in this book is available in the series
- Carnatic Music Compositions series, a seven part cd series rendered by Dr..S.Bhagyalekshmy
Select 15 kritis of Maharaja Swati Tirunal, suited to instrumental music have been presented in western staff Notation. These compositions are best suited for playing on Keyboard, Piano, Violin. Contains carnatic music standard notation, text of the composition, western staff notation score.
In This Volume Tyagaraja’s Pancharatna Kritis Have Been well Notated In English In Simple Form And With The Text In English. An Introduction Portrays The Important Aspect Of These Compositions As Well As The Contribution Made By Tyagaraja To Karnatic Music. An Important Asset For Any Music Lover. The Simple And Standard Notation Is Well Typeset For Easy Rendering By Learners Of The Compositions.
The 5 Ghana raga Panchartna kritis of Tygaraja, have been presented in western staff Notation. These compositions can be best suited for playing on Keyboard, Piano, Violin. Contains carnatic music standard notation, text of the composition, western staff notation score.
Jagadaananda karaka - Nattai * Duduku gala - Gaula * Sadimchane - Arabhi
Kanakanaruchira - Varali * Endharo Mahaanubhavulu - Sri
144 Pages/ 2009/ Rs 90.00/$8.00
The 9 Navagraha kritis of Muthuswamy Dikshitar have been well notated with an introduction. The notation is presented in easy to learn format. Complete with text and notation and meaning of the kritis.
60 pages / 2009/Rs 60.00/$10.00
COMPOSITIONS OF PURANDARA DASAR IN WESTERN STAFF NOTATION
Select 15 kritis of Purandaradasar, suited to instrumental music have been presented in western staff Notation. These compositions are best suited for playing on Keyboard, Piano, Violin. Contains carnatic music standard notation, text of the composition, western staff notation score.
01. Kandena Govindana Vasantha Adi * 02. Rama Manthrava Hamsa Nandhi Adi
03. Yilli Nodalu Rama Panthuvarali Adi * 04. Nanenu Madideno Lalitha Adi
05. Bhagyada Lakshmi Sriraga Adi * 06. Smarane Onde Malayamarutham Adi
07. Venkatachala Nilayam Sindhu Bhairavi Adi *08. Dasana Madigo Nadanama Kriya Adi
09. Adidanu Ranga Brindavana Saranga Adi * 10. Noduvade Kannu Maand Adi
11. Ragi Thandeera Punnaga Varali Adi * 12. Thirupathi Venkata Keeravani Adi
13. Kodu Bega Saraswathi Adi 1*14. Dharmave Jayavemba Chenchurutti Adi
15. Hari Narayana Revathi Adi
144 Pages/ 2009/ Rs 150.00/$10.00
- This index is a quick reference source for locating carnatic music compostions. The index lists out the Raga, Tala, and composer for more than 7000 kritis properly indexed in this edition. The geneal introduction gives a complete information about musical forms like kritis, varnam. Utsavasampradaya kritis, gitam, tillana, pada varna, javali, etc. The book will be very much useful for musicians and the students alike. Can also be used as a ready reference for locating the songs, and other details relating to a composition.
Indian Music has reached its present position by the great contribution made to it by the great composers. The present volume contains a detailed analytical evaluation of the great composers of Carnatic Music. The essays have been contributed by eminent musicologists like Sambamoorthy, Dr.Raghavan, T.S.Parthasarathy etc. The essays have been arranged in such a way that they portray the evolution and development of South Indian music, from the from the 12th century composer like Jayadeva to the present 20th century. The present volume will be an important contribution to the study of Carnatic Music and will be very useful for the student as well as the lover of Carnatic Music.
In this volume an attempt has been made to study the 31 lakshana grandhas in Carnatic Music. Each chapter deals with a complete study of the Lakshanagrandha, starting with a brief introduction, evaluates the important contributions on each treatise.
The text contains a critical study of the Opera and the complete text of the Prahladabhakti vijayam in English. An exhaustive and critical introduction evaluates the text PrahladaBhakthivijayam in all its literary,musical and philosophical context.
The present volume contains contributions from eminent musicians and musicologists in the field of music and Dance, Performing arts. The article portray the different facets of the theory of music, the tradition of Music and its performance, the science of Music, the concept of voice and Rhythm, the dance in its many splendours. The last section on Miscellany traces the technical aspects of Tolkappiyam, Meaning in Indian sculpture, Folk songs and folklore. In total these articles cover a wide range of Music and performing arts. The Articles have been contributed by various eminent authorities in Carnatic Music.
The work starts with the historical development of the Mysore State and goes on to assess the contribution of the Wodeyars and their patronage to Music. The Vainikas who outnumbered vocalists in the court have been dealt separately giving due importance to their contribution and the growth of Lakshana during the period. The Kings who were also good musicologists, added much contribution in the field of musicology and this has been analysed. The author has brought to light much unknown facts about musicians of contemporary period as well. An excellent index of compositions of various composers in the court of Mysore have been added
The study covers the historical and cultural aspects of the Devadasi system as existed in medieval Tamil Nadu. Highly referenced with sources from inscriptions, primary sources like oral traditions, the study will be an important contribution to the study of the Devadasi system of Tamil Nadu and the society and religious trends that existing during the period of the study. The study covers an overall period from 300 B.C to 1800 A.D.
Ragamalikas denotes a genre of musical compostions which are couched in a series of ragas instead of the same ragas througout the compositions. It represents the novel platform for the composer and the musician to present his expression of musical thought.. 26 Ragamalikas of Various composers like Purandaradasar, Maharaja Swathi Tirunal, Pattanam Subramanya Iyer, Veena Kuppayyar, Muthuswamy Dikshitar, Seetharamayya, Karur Dakshinamurthi, Subbarama Dikshitar, Periyaswami Thooran, Jayadevar, have been well notated with text and notation in Tamil have been given. The ragamalikas portrated in this volume depict the growth and development of Ragamalikas as well. a well written introduction on the evolution of Raga malikas, its character and presentation has been undertaken.
2002/ Rs 60.00/$8.00
Bhkathi compositions have been the mainstay of carnatic music for a long time and all composers have contributed their might in contributing to this field of literature and music. These compositions have been kept live by the oral tradition by the bhajana exponents and these compositions have been learnt by one and all. In this collection of devotional songs the authors have selected compositions from composers like Purandaradasa, Bhadrachala ramadas, Annamacharya, Swathi tirunal, Jayadeva, Andal, Narayana Tirtha etc. 31 compostions of various composers have been included in this book with notation and text in Tamil. An essential book for the musician and the learner alike.2002/Rs 60.00/ $8.00
- In this book a comprehensive index of more than 7500 songs in Carnatic Music have been given in Tamil alphabetically indexed with the names of the raga, tala and composer. The book enables a layman to immediately recognise the tala, composer and raga of the song from the text and will be essential for every music lover or a performing artist.
- 81 85 381 70 4/ Rs 75.00 / $8.00
Gowri Kuppuswamy & Dr.M.Hariharan
This book contains Tamil Padas of various composers of Carnatic Music.. The notation has been given in simple style with the text of the songs in Tamil. The introduction contains a study of the development, literary and compositional aspects of Pada, An essential book for learners as well the practicing musician.
Gowri Kuppuswamy & Dr.M.Hariharan
Javalis form an important musical form in Carnatic Music. More than 40 Javalis have been notated in simple form alongwith the text of the songs. The compositions represent a collection of representative composers. The introduction traces the history, development and literary aspects of Javali. An essential book for the learners as well as the practicing musician.
Gowri Kuppuswamy & Dr.M.Hariharan
The present edition of the book contains 35 tillanas notated in simple style in Tamil of major Carnatic composers, including contemporary composers like Lalgudi Jayaraman and Balamurali Krishna.
Gowri Kuppuswamy & Dr.M.Hariharan
Compositions of Purandaradasa contains compositions of the great composer Purandaradasa in Tamil with simple notation and text in Tamil. The songs have been well notated in simple style so that the beginner as well as the performing artist is able to make use of the notations.
Gowri Kuppuswamy & Dr.M.Hariharan
Popular compositions of Tiruvottiyur Tyagayya has been notated in Tamil with text. The introduction give a breif analysis of the contribution of Tyagayya to Carnatic music.
The book contains the notation of the Fundamental svaravali, Gitam, Prabandham and Suladi in Tamil and English set in adjacent pages. A useful book for the learning of fundamentals of Carnatic Music.
- In the present volume a comprehensive and detailed approach has been made to introduce Bharatanatyam to the lay readers as well as the learned exponent of Bharatanatyam. The first chapter gives brief introduction of the concept of Bharatanatyam. The second chapter takes the student to different kinds of presentation of Bharatanatyam. The third chapter onwards different technical details of Bharatanatyam like Adavus, Charis/gathis, padabhedas, angaharas, Karanas, Abhinaya, Bhava, Rasa and hasthas, Forms of Bharatanatyam have been given. The last chapter on Forms of Bhrathanatyam different forms of dances like Alarippu, Vamam, Sabdam, Tillana, Javali etc. have been described. How they are presented in the concert etc. been described. How they are presented in the concert etc. The last chapter contains the details of ornamentation in Bharatanayam and stage lighting. The Chapter on Tala gives a bsic introduction to the artist about the tala practice for Bharatanatyam. Contains more than 200 illustrations. Each chapter is well documented and illustrated. Contents:Introduction, Evolution and Development of Bharathanatyam, Stage as designed by Bharatha, Tandava and Lasya, Nritta, Nritya and Natya: Adavus: Charis, Gatis, Utplavanas and Brhamaris, Angaharas; Padabheds; Karanas; Adbhinaya; Bhava; Nayaka Nayikabheda, Rasa; Hasthas; Forms of Bharatanatyam; Navasandhi, Costumes, Talam, Glossary; Index.
- 1998/2nd Edition /192 pages/ 81 85 381 18 6/ Rs 150.00 / $15.00
Other Karnatic Music learning series CDs released by CBH Audio
Karnatic Music Learning series in 12 parts - Introductory series for learning the fundamental concepts of Karnatic music from varisas, alankaram, gitam, swarajathi, varnam and to kritis of simple ragas and compositions of different composers.
Pancharatnakritis of Saint Tyagaraja - A five part series for the easy learning of Ghanaraga panchrathna kritis of Saint tyagaraja presented in easy to learn format in 5 Audio cds, one for each raga..
Swathi Tirunal Maharaja Masterpieces - 5 part cd containing select compositions of Kritis, Ragamalika, Navarathrikritis, padas, padavarnas, bhajans and tillana etc. of Maharaja Swathi thirunal, the great composer.
Carnatic Music compositions - Rendering of the select compositions of Tyagaraja, Muthusamy Dikshitar, Maharaja Swati Tirunal, in an easy to learn format.
Ragadhara - Audio encycliopaedia - 26 Audio Cd series on Carnatic Mela and Janya ragas - The complete reference for ragas in Carnatic Music. Each raga contains the arohana avarohana, sanchara, list of compositions available in the raga, raga alapana and pallavi of one of the compositions in the raga to understand the raga.
Video lessons for learning - Vocal lessons, Flute, Violin, Veena, Mridangam, Nagaswaram, in easy to learn lessons programmes presented by veteran teachers., upto varnam and kritis
Carnatic Music books in English, - a complete set of books in notation in English and reference books by Dr. S.Bhagyalekshmy,
Books on Music in English, Tamil and Malayalam - a complete list of books on music and dance published by cbh publications.
Carnatic music reader in Western staff Notation - A seven book learning series, from the fundamental lessons, to varnam and Kritis, containing western scores for the lessons.
Carnatic Music Reader virtual keyboard lessons. for Carnatic Music lessons in western staff Notation - A 7 DVD series - This series is best suited for learning carnatic music through keyboard, piano, violin, saxophone and other western instruments.