Loryn's 11¢ - Characters #2
. . .Our Dearly Departed Detectives (Dead & Otherwise)
Det. Francis Xavier Pembleton (Andre Braugher)
- Rotated to Robbery. Frank partnered with Bayliss until ep. 5-12 (reunited ep. 5-19). He couldn't understand why Tim'd want to break up, and he was more interested at first with getting back with him than his own family. Frank is an excellent detective, a damn good cop, & master of the Box. He served in the Western district. He has to control every aspect of an investigation. He's so well respected by the brass that they offered him command of the second shift, which he turned down. He briefly quit (pc 311). The department sent him a memo on illegal parking, but he claims to be an expert at parallel parking. He questioned Lewis & Kellerman about the Luther Mahoney shooting at Gee's request. He got Mike to admit the truth, after which Frank would (& could) not look at Mike. He wanted Mike charged at the expense of Lewis & Stivers, whom he believed to be just as guilty. Because of the lack of charges & because he "let" Tim get shot, Frank quit in the hallway in front of Tim's room at Maryland Shock/Trauma.
- Well-educated (by Jesuits at St Bart's Elementary and St Ignatius High School) African-American from NYC, married to lobbyist Mary Whelan-Pembleton (separated ep. 5-16, reunited ep. 5-22), daughter Olivia (born pc 420) & infant son Frank Junior. He's a very caring husband and father.
- Frank lives up to impossibly high standards & stands up for his beliefs regardless of the consequences. Arrogant, domineering, opinionated, a former loner,& not one to articulate his emotions, He's extremely intense, methodical, proud.
- used to smoke Marlboros. Likes Emmylou Harris & Bruce Springsteen & John D. MacDonald novels; favored pink ties in Season 1. He suffered a stroke in the Box during the interrogation of Ian McKenzie (pc 422). He no longer takes his medications & still drinks coffee, but he doesn't smoke anymore (a minor miracle in and of itself). Because of his hesitation at the end of Season 6, Tim was shot. For the first time in years, lapsed Catholic that he is, Frank cried and prayed to God for Tim's recovery. The street number of his house is 2013.
Det. Michael Scott Kellerman (Reed Diamond)
Det. Sgt. Kay Howard (Melissa Leo)
- Transferred from Arson. Partnered with Lewis through Season 5, he's now with Munch. He's not too happy with Lewis about it, either. Shares a desk with Det. Tony Bonaventura. That desk was once occupied by Slackjaw Johnson (who died), Stan, & Megan. Meldrick says it's cursed. Rotated to Auto Theft. He finally admitted the truth about Luther Mahoney's death after his gestures gave him away to Frank. He refused to roll on Lewis & Stivers. Gee gave him the option of going to trial for manslaughter & winning (but taking down Lewis & Stivers, too) or quitting. He quit. He now owns his own private detective agency.
- 1984 graduate. Dad works at Majestic Distillery, homemaker Mom, small-time criminal brothers Drew & Greg. Ex-wife Anne Kennedy (lived together 2 years, married 14 months; she cheated on him; she works at the forensics lab). Briefly dated Dr. Cox.
- Was under federal investigation for allegedly taking bribes from Matthew Roland while at Arson; until cleared, he was stuck with desk duty. He's witty, street smart, a wiseguy.
- He owns the Case Closed, a boat he charters on days off & weekends. Shot in the arm by Junior Bunk. Mike was sued for $60 million by Georgia Rae Mahoney, along with Lewis, Stivers, Cox, Gee, the department, the city, for the 'wrongful death' of Luther Marcellus Mahoney. Judge Gibbons (the judge Mike wanted the FBI to investigate for bribery & obstruction) threw the case out after Mike recorded him. After confessing to the Mahoney shooting, he wanted to shoot himself in the Box with Lewis's gun, but Lewis wouldn't give him the gun.
Det. Stanley Bolander (Ned Beatty)
- Has a perfect closure rate. As sergeant, she's the squad supervisor under Gee. Her partner was Beau Felton until his suspension, then Munch. Permanent transfer to the Fugitive Squad.
- From Rocky Point, MD, where dad Wesley & her brothers (one named Josh) still live. Had a cat. Briefly dated ASA Ed Danvers.
- She's tough, driven, wants to prove herself better than the men.
- She appeared on the show through ep. 5-22.
Det. Steven Crosetti (Jon Polito)
- Started in the Western district.His skills & memory are legendary. Partnered with Mitch (his only "real" partner) & then Munch. He was the primary on Steve's suicide in October 1994. When it was ruled a suicide, he comforted Lewis by talking & drinking beers on the pier. He was put on 22-week suspension after getting smashed at a policemen's convention & sliding down the bannister in his undershorts & never came back. Retired to California near Margie.
- Divorced from Margie but still wears his wedding band. Briefly dated a violin-playing waitress named Linda.
- As a detective, "the original bull in the china shop" who "could prove summer's cold."
- plays the cello, smoked cigars, 'poor dumb white boy from Hampden.' He was shot in the head in the line of duty. In the winter, he always wore a black & orange Orioles scarf.
Det. Beauregard Felton (Daniel Baldwin)
- Former sergeant in the Southwest district, shot in the line of duty. Steve wasn't afraid to use the scar to get his way (like he did with Gee to get the Thormann shooting assigned to him and Lewis). Partnered with Lewis, who called him "salami head."
- Divorced; daughter Beatrice, Aunts Providenzia and Luna, Uncles Gaetano & Paul. His father and grandfather were also cops.
- Very methodical, by-the-book. Quirky sense of humor.
- jazz freak, death by suicide (abundance of alcohol & anti-depressants in his bloodstream at the time), always played with his Duncan Imperial yo-yo. In his desk, he had a slinky, a funky pen, & several Lincoln books. A Lincoln assassination fanatic, he committed suicide (pc 304) & wasn't given an honor guard at his funeral. He was buried in a beautiful $8000 grey casket by Bernie Munch. His Requiem Mass was held at St Stanislaus Kostka Catholic Church.
Lt/Capt/Det. Megan Russert (Isabella Hofmann)
- He was a good detective until Beth left him. His drinking & indecency at a police convention got him suspended for 22 weeks. He came back to work for IID & was killed in the line of duty.
- born 22 October 1960, died 9 May 1997. Has a crazy ex-wife Beth, son Zack, daughter Ally, & infant son. Had an affair with Russert. Comes from Billytown & tried hard to rise above that.
- By his own admission he was not a good detective. Beau lost evidence and too often let his personal life spill over into his job performance. Kay took up the slack for him, though.
- He had thing for good clothes. Didn't like Pembleton; the feeling was mutual. Beth took the kids all over the country, & he began to drink when he couldn't find them. He tried to have Gaffney search for them (fat lot of good that did him).
James "J.H." Brodie (Max Perlich)
- Worked Vice before taking command of Second Shift. Promoted to captain, then demoted to lietenant & then detective for her mistreatment of the Sniper redball. She briefly returned to help with the Felton murder investigation.
- Late husband accountant Andy (died from cancer), daughter Caroline, sister Eileen. 1983 Naval Academy. Had an affair with Felton. Ran off to Paris with her diplomat lover
- Ineffectual as a captain, okay as a detective.
- spent 4 years in Naval Intelligence.
Dr. Julianna Cox, Chief Medical Examiner (Michelle Forbes)
- Squad's videographer; not a detective, but still a part of the squad.
- His own mother died from not taking her meds after her stroke. He had a crush on Kay.
- He's very devoted to the squad. Secretly, he probably wanted to be one of them.
- At one time, he bunked out with Munch, Bayliss, & Lewis until each of them kicked him out. He was protective of Frank after the stroke, chastising him for not taking his medication. His documentary BACK PAGE NEWS: Life & Homicide on the Mean Streets of Baltimore about the Homicide Unit was bought by PBS & won an Emmy. After that, he moved to Los Angeles (God knows why).
Ready for more? Click here to continue.
- Formerly worked in Buffalo. She was fired for not doctoring up some blood alcohol levels for the city.
- Her father died following a lengthy lingering after being hit on the road. Dated Kellerman for a while, until he couldn't stand her boozing too much either. She also briefly dated Bayliss.
- She is very methodical. If it's not done her way, don't bother doing it. Can be quite snippy.
- For a while, her only hobby was getting drunk. She had started to sober up. She also plays pool.
Main Characters | Our Dearly Departed Detectives | Helpful Neighborhood Police Officers
The Ghouls in the Chop Shop | The Legal Hacks
Friendly Neighborhood Reporters | At The Waterfront | The Chain of Command